Thursday, February 11, 2010

How do I get my dog to stop being afraid of the nail clippers?

I cut into the vein of his nail when he was a puppy, and he cried and has had issues with getting his nails cut ever since. I used to be able to cut them when he was sleeping, he wakes up and stops me now. I don't want the vet to do it, because he shakes the whole time. when I put the cliiper by his nail, he yelps and pulls his paw away before I even get a chance to cut it... how can I get him to stop being so afriad of the clippers?How do I get my dog to stop being afraid of the nail clippers?
I would sugest exercises with putting mhim on his side an getting him extreamly relaxed...give him a massage..... then once he is completely relaxed bring the clippers out and just show them to him.... if he freaks out just put him back on his side and continue wiht massage.....get him completly relaxed wiht the clippers in front of him on floor.. make sure he can see them... do not trim nails at this time... You jsut want to get him to associate clippers with a good feeling...i.e. relaxation..... after you have him to the point that he does not freak out at the site of them you want to start adding an element....cover his head.....for a while while massaging him..... after you have him to the point you can cover his head then you can start clipping....you want him confortable with the head covering befor you start clipping,..... covering his head is only so he can not see you movine to his feet...It may take a while but as long as you keep this up he should start to come around to the point that you dont have to cove his head any more.....be quick and precise... the last thing you want is another accident involving the clippers....if he freaks out when you start clipping just take a step back and relax him again...... It will take a lot longer to undo this than it took to cause this but it cain be done.... YOu must be calm the whole time and do not anticipate reactions .... he will feed on it and will cause him to revert to old habits....





this process will take a while a couple weeks..... Just vbecause you get him to calm down and relax on the first or second try does not mean it is time to move on.....only move to the covering stage after you can bring the clippers out and he just lays there....relaxed... a few time in a row.... good luck and i hope this helps








somebody else mentioned a walk i cant believe i forgot it it is very inportant and will help things move along quicker if you walk him first befor you do the exercises





I just have to touch on the aproch that the next poster posted... when you reward a dog while he is excited mistrustful or in any way agitated then you are saying its alright to be that way.... it may have worked for them but ultiamatly they are using human phsycology on a dog witch does not work. Dogs respond to a leader not a begger..... They are much more likly to allow somthing to happen if you mean buisness.....If they are controling your reactions then they are the packk leader and have not reason to allow you to trim nails, giive baths or what ever it is you want to do,.How do I get my dog to stop being afraid of the nail clippers?
My grandma's dog was the same way. Ofer him a treat before and after you clip his nails.
Try taking him for a really long walk. Then put the nail clippers in front of him so he can see the clippers and give him a massage. He will eventually associate the clippers with a massage and will like to get his nails clipped. I saw this on the Dog Whisperer. He is awesome. You should watch his show, it's on the National Geographic Channel. Before you clip his nails you should take him for a walk or use up his energy somehow. Then they will be more willing to just lay there becuase they have no energy.
My dog has the same issue but I never cut her too short ever she is just scared to death of the nail clippers but I have a solution that might work for ur dog because it works for mine. Go to a walmart or a hardware store and purchase a ';Dremel'; it is a handheld wood grinder. U can grind his nails down instead of cutting them. It REALLY worked on my dog and it is less stressful for u and ur dog. Try it and good luck!
I had the same problem and it took a long time to overcome the fear.





Get his favorite treat and keep lots of them nearby. This will not be a one-time get them all done attempt, but it will help him get over the previous trauma. Hold him in your lap, if he's small enough, and just stroke and pet him. Give him a treat. Pick up the nail clippers and hold them in front of him, letting him sniff them. Pet and reassure him. If you're nervous, it will translate to him. Put the clippers down, give him another treat and stroke his paw. Continue stroking his paw and slowly pick up the clippers. Gently spread his paw out and try that first nail. If he doesn't let you do it, don't worry. Put the clippers down and continue to pet him and tell him he's doing good. It may take you an hour to do one nail, but eventually, he should let you clip one. Make very sure not to clip the quick again. Sometimes it's best to do just the tiniest bit, even though it's not the length you want. It will help reassure him that it's not always going to hurt. You need to re-gain his trust. Once you get that one nail trimmed, pet him and let him up. If he's content to remain with you, try another nail. If not, let him go and try again in an hour or so. Don't force him as he will see the whole thing as a negative procedure.





Remember, he will sense your nervousness, so you need to be calm. Don't get mad if he struggles. It took a long time for my oldest bulldog to trust the clippers again.





Another, although expensive method, is to get a cordless hand held Dremmel tool. Instead of cutting, it grinds the nail down. Lots of dogs do not like the sound or the sensation however. Just remember, your pooch isn't mistrustful of you, but of the tool.





Good luck!
I dremel my dogs nails, all three of them. I have not made them bleed since starting this.
My dog is the same way - he used to hide whenever I even opened the drawer I kept the clippers in. I had to give up after he bit me and now he goes to the groomer once a month for it. I found a place that he likes and they like him. As long as he can't see me, he's fine for some reason. It does take about 3 people to do his nails though.
My dog has the same problem my dad has to hold him down and give him a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment