Thursday, February 11, 2010

My quaker parrot had gotten his claw stuck and had pulled his nail back,how long does it take for it to heal?

His nails arent very long, i keep them trimmed and he dulls them down on his scratching block that i had gotten him. I noticed the other morning that he was favoring his left foot when he was on his perch so I looked at it. It was a bit bloody, but not bad at all, only a drop if that. I put hydrogyn peroxide on it so it wouldnt get infected and i have been putting in on in the morning and before bed to be sure that no infection occurs. I was wondering how long it would take for this to heal since i caught it within minutes/hours of it happening. Has this happened to anyone before with their bird? Im worried. Should I go to the vet with him or will he be fine without a visit?My quaker parrot had gotten his claw stuck and had pulled his nail back,how long does it take for it to heal?
You're not very specific here. Did he actually manage to break the talon where you see it become part of the fleshy toe? Or is it just the talon itself that broke? It's hard to tell with what you've written.


In any event, yes, I'd be taking him to an avian vet, if you have one near you. They are kinda hard to find, but if you live in a major city there should be a dozen or so that are avian qualified. If you can't find one that has been avian qualified, check around with the normal vets, some of them have taken some courses and may be able to help.


No, none of my birds have ever had this happen, the worst was a cut to the quick on my Quaker and after I did that, I'm not sure who needed medical attention more, him or me :)My quaker parrot had gotten his claw stuck and had pulled his nail back,how long does it take for it to heal?
About six months, more or less.
hahahahahaha i had a qp to hahahahahahahaha
  • camera
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment