Thursday, February 11, 2010

How do I know when to have my dog's nail's trimmed?

She's a Welsh Corgi, and is 3 years old.How do I know when to have my dog's nail's trimmed?
I know when I can hear my dogs while walk going tap, tap, on the kitchen or hard wood floors. It drives me nuts!How do I know when to have my dog's nail's trimmed?
I usually dremel my dogs' nails about ever two weeks or so. It helps get and keep them used to having it done, just like grooming routine, and it keeps them at a good length to prevent injury. My dogs don't struggle or fight with the dremeling because it is just what has to be done and it is part of their routine... I find that so much nicer than doing it every now and then and them being jerky about it! I just grind back until I think I am near the quick (there is a color change to the center of the nail that sort of lets me know) and then I smooth out the edges and stop -- that way they don't get hurt and dislike it and they can be worked back to short if they have gotten away from me for a while.. I do accidently hit the quick now and then and I just go on and finish up with the smoothing and don't make a big deal out of it and the blow it off... I used to apologize and they would take advantage of that and make like they were dying or something but I figured out their sceme!
great answer from Nancy M
The dog's nails should not reach the floor. When they do, it's time to get them cut.


This is because the nails, if touching the ground, can cause the toes to shift or bend, and if left for any length of time, can create permanent problems for the foot.


If the dog walks on concrete often, this will act as a natural nail file and trimming is less often.
our dogs nails make a horrible sound on the floors. and of course they scratch with out intending to. so about once a month for our kids.
Personally, I'd trim the nails at least once a week unless your dog walks a lot on abrasive surfaces which file down the nails while the dogs walking. Regardless, look for the ';quick'; and if the nail is fairly longer than the quick, trim it. And if you can hear your dog coming from a mile away (exaggerating)than you most than likely have to trim the nails. If the nails get to long, they can start to make the pads spread which can eventually cause major orthapedic issues. The same goes for fur in between the pads. GL :)
You should do it every few months. if not then when you can hear her nails clickin and clackin on the floor. hard to do by yourself especially if the nails are black. Id take him to get it done.
well the curve of the nail makes noise while walking on hardwood.


when u do clip them, just clip the curve. dont cut into the quick. =]


hope this helped!
I do my dogs every other week. I try to keep it a routine so they don't fight it so mcuh.

No comments:

Post a Comment