Thursday, February 11, 2010

How soon do you need to get a tetanus shot after you've been punctured by an old nail?

I just stepped on a nail sticking up out of a board. Ouch!! However, I'm about to take off on an 8-hour trip. Can I safely get the shot 24 hours from now?How soon do you need to get a tetanus shot after you've been punctured by an old nail?
It depends when you had your last tetanus vaccination. If it is recently, then you should be able to wait 24 hours, but just to play it safe, I'd ask your doctor. Good luck and have a great trip.





If you have had a tetanus shot within the last 10 years, you should be safe. But I'd get the booster shot as soon as you can, to not take any chances.How soon do you need to get a tetanus shot after you've been punctured by an old nail?
should go soon has you can if you dont how long its been and ive step on nials many time working around house building and never went so its not really a big thing if you put something on it you should be ok if it wasnt rusted and just a new nail you be sore a couple days sucks but try shooting a three inch nail thru your foot and then have to use a hammer to get loose now that sucks
If possible , before the puncture!


Seriously, it is advised to take regular Tet Vac shots if someone is prone to injuries. Then person has sure tet. prophylaxis.


As in yr case, get it ASAP.
that might be too long, you should get one as soon as possible, infection can set in well before the 24 hour mark
The sooner the better. That shot hurts like hell, fyi.
I would try to get it sooner if you can... can you drop by the ER before you head out of town? I could be wrong, but I think it's better to go sooner....





I'm no doctor though...
get a tetanus shot the sooner the best, just in case
If I were you curious, I would get a shot for it A.S.A.P! If you dont get it quick, the infection will spread to the rest of the area and will cause it to become worse. My dad did that once, and we took him to the doctor's, which was only about an hour away, and he got the shot and heturned out fine. SO if I were you, I would get it A.S.A.P
you should only wait the length of time it takes for you to get to a doctor or ER

No comments:

Post a Comment